RAIN or shine, Sinulog 2010 will continue. Executive Director Ricky Ballesteros of the Sinulog Foundation Inc. (SFI) said the organizers will “wait and see” if the southwest monsoon brings strong winds, apart from the steady rain that blanketed Cebu in the last three days.
But if it’s just rain, the parade will go on, he said.
Concern for safety also prompted the City Council last Wednesday to ask the police to check on those staging street parties today.
Cebu City and police officials requested politicians to avoid distributing flyers and other campaign materials, and asked companies not to give away samples, as doing so might provoke stampedes.
“Also, pray for fair weather,” said Vice Mayor Michael Rama, SFI chairman and Sinulog 2010 overall chairman.
Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña appealed for vigilance.
“I’m basically very nervous about this. We should really be very suspicious about people who come in. It only takes one to ruin the whole thing. That is why we need everybody’s support to report anything suspicious,” he told a news conference earlier this week.
With 133 groups joining the grand parade, there are more participants this year compared to last year’s 112. (more)